Attorney Assisting Clients with Legal Separation in Kentucky
Experienced Lexington family law attorney provides alternatives to divorce
In certain situations, a couple may wish to live apart but may not want to terminate their marriage. In Kentucky, this is called a legal separation. Essentially, a legal separation is a court-approved contract between spouses that outlines how marital responsibilities will be divided. The agreement can address issues including:
- Asset and property division. Dividing the marital property can be an emotional and complicated process, involving restoration of nonmarital property to the proper party, and equitable distribution of the marital property. A knowledgeable attorney can make this process easier.
- Payment of marital debts. Many couples owe money on their home, their cars, credit cards, other loans, and to medical service providers. I advise as to the equitable apportionment of these debts.
- Spousal support. Depending on the financial circumstances of each spouse, support may be negotiated or ordered by a judge. Spousal support may be granted on a temporary basis (while litigation is pending) and under proper circumstances, extended for a time beyond the date of divorce.
- Child custody. Determining where children should live, who should make decisions about their lives and when relatives can visit them is often an emotionally fraught process. I work to reduce the conflict surrounding these issues and help parties come to an agreement that is best for the children.
- Child support. Both parents are expected to contribute to the costs of raising their children. This often means that one parent must make payments to the other. I help you maneuver through the Kentucky Child Support Guidelines to understand the elements of that calculation and the bottom line.
Law Office of Roland P. Merkel helps you negotiate a fair separation agreement.
Reasons to choose legal separation
While separation and divorce are similar in some ways, the marriage is not ended in a legal separation. For some couples, this is the best option for their situation. Reasons to choose a separation over a complete dissolution of a marriage include:
- Personal or religious beliefs
- Financial concerns
- Medical benefits
- Chance for reconciliation
Choosing between a legal separation and a divorce can be a difficult decision. I help my clients make the right choices for their individual circumstances.
Contact a Lexington legal separation attorney today.
To learn more about alternatives to divorce in Kentucky, call Law Office of Roland P. Merkel at 859-263-1123 or contact me online today to schedule a 20-minute free initial consultation.